Accessing Kindle 3 with SSH via Wifi using usbNetwork and Launchpad

As a prerequisite you will need usbNetwork and launchpad installed and working. Once that is set up, create a new file in the launchpad directory: iptables.ini with the contents


[Actions]                                              
;; Activate Network access
I A = !iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT &  
;; Deactivate Network access
I D = !iptables -D INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT &    
Now you can just press Shift I A to Activate the Wifi access to the SSH daemon (after ;debugOn and ~usbNetwork). And you can disable it again in the same way. No need to plug your Kindle in to access it! No lasting modifications to the Kindle. No completely disabled firewall. But be aware that access is still possible without any password. So make sure to disable the Network when finished. And I think active usbNetwork has a slight negative impact on battery time, so another good reason to keep it disabled unless needed.

There is some help how to access the Kindle with different tools from windows and use public key authentification here.


If you like this post, share it and subscribe to the RSS feed so you don't miss the next one. In any case, check the related posts section below. (Because maybe I'm just having a really bad day and normally I write much more interesting articles about theses subjects! Or maybe you'll only understand what I meant here once you've read all my other posts on the topic. ;) )

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate comments. Feel free to write anything you wish. Selected comments and questions will be published.